Sunday, October 18, 2015

Punctuation, Part 2

Punctuation, Part 2

In this blog post I am going to go back to the inside cover of Rules for Writers and identify three more/different topics/chapters on Punctuation.

End Punctuation

The period typically ends a sentence. However, it can be used in abbreviations, such as, a.m. or p.m. The question mark completes. a direct question to ask the question. The exclamation point is used for an exclamatory sentence to illustrate excitement or emphasis.
Odder. "Warning Sign." 9/12/12 via Wikimedia Commons. CC0 Public Domain License.

Quotation Marks

I had always been confused about quotations inside quotations. Now, I know to use a single quotation mark to enclose it. In order to quote properly, it is necessary to introduce the quotation and to explain it after. I was never sure if this was completely necessary, but apparently it is.

The Apostrophe

I was unsure how to use an apostrophe to mark omissions in numbers. For example, writing '80s always confused me because I doubted that I was doing it right. I always assumed that teachers preferred the 1980's instead. Many people in school would misuse the plural of this. However, I had always gotten this corrected in the past so it is not difficult for me to do now.

Examples of Punctuation In My Rhetorical Analysis

"Americans consume copious amounts of sugars."

Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything that used periods as abbreviations from my essay. However, this is a simple declarative sentence where periods are used to end the sentence. I did not learn anything about periods because I use them daily, and I think I know all I need to know about them. They helped my paper though because without them I wouldn't be able to have proper grammar or sentences.

“...4 mg/kg body weight (expressed as steviol) has been established.”

Unfortunately, there also were not any apostrophe's that could be used to mark omissions as numbers. Therefore, I used an example here that used 2 different punctuation rules. Those rules being ellipses, parentheses, and quotation marks. This is helpful for me because all of these are used throughout my paper. It did not help me learn anything because I was already aware of these punctuations.

No comments:

Post a Comment