Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Project 2 Outline

Project 2 Outline

In this blog post, I am going to approach my Project two outline, but writing a paragraph about how I used the text provided to better analyze my text. Also, I will mention the rhetorical situations and strategies used. Lastly, I will plan my outline. The picture I chose to represent my outline is an outline of a tree. A tree is a symbol of life and the coming together of nature. I chose this outline of a tree because it is literally an outline, and it is a piece of our ecosystem that involves many parts. Just like my outline, the tree consists many parts and is the center of all beginning (a.k.a outline is the beginning of my essay).

"Sections of the Paper" allowed me to better understand the parts of my analytical papers. For the Introduction, it asked "Do you begin with a general idea, a history, or do you dive right into your analysis?" (122). I thought that this was helpful because I asked myself while creating my introduction these questions. I ended up going with a general idea. More specifically, it was an idea of the typical shopper purchasing foods at a grocery store, and unknowingly, they are selecting items that contain artificial sugars. Next, it said "Focus the bulk of your writing on text itself rather than on general ideas about the issue that it addresses" (122). This was helpful to me because I understand now that I need a lot of examples. I could use them even in my introduction. Next, a thesis was hard for me to create at first. However, after reading this quote, I felt like I had a better grasp on it. It read,  "What do we observe or understand about the ways it tries to persuade its audience?" (122). I needed to think about how it's persuading the audience it was directed to, but then I need to consider the audience that I am writing to. In other words, the thesis that I had created (#2) was the most accurate to this. Next, body paragraphs seemed intimidating to me because I was unsure how many I should do. The text clarified saying,"Focus on analyzing one or two of the strategies that you feel are most essential to the persusiveness of the text" (124). Instead of writing about ethos, pathos, and logos, I need to write about only two. This was hard for me to do because I think ethos is hard to write about in a detailed manner, but I thought that this source lacked pathos. Therefore, I wrote my body paragraphs about logos and pathos. As for the conclusion, I normally do well in this part. However, the book said, "Think about the implications of your analysis, or why you feel these strategies make the text persuasive or not" (125). I think this falls under the category of me saying "So what?". For every conclusion that I do, I try to incorperate this. I think I can add more about how his strategies convey the message more than I would have prior to reading this.


The text's rhetorical situation might include:

The identity of its author/speaker

Dr. Kirtida R. Tandel, Department of Pharmacology, Government Medical College, Surat, Gujarat, India.

The primary audience it is clearly intended for (if that's clear) and/or other, secondary audiences who would likely be reached or affected by the text

Anyone who is interested in nutrition, general public. However, my audience is incoming students of my field who want to learn how to write an argumentative paper for my field.

The context surrounding the creation of the text (when it was made public, the medium or genre it occupies, contemporary events that may have shaped author or audience's attitudes or opinions, social or historical movements related to the text and its topic, the cultural and linguistic backgrounds of author and audiences, the physical surroundings of the event or text, and/or other texts that might relate to yours - this summary of options was cribbed from Student's Guide page 180)
ClkerFreeVectorImages. "Oak Tree Outline Nature Silhouette Ecology." 10/07/14 via pixabay. CC0 Public Domain License.


The ideology or cultural values present in the text and its relationship to author and/or audience or both.

Foods all around us contain artificial sugars

Your text's unique and specific cultural setting

It is a current issue because many foods that are marketed to the general public contain artificial sugars.

Your own assumptions and/or bias as the one performing analysis on the text (NOTE: If you mention this in your analysis, it should be a supporting or secondary concern that should not get in the way of the main purpose of Project 2).

Artificial sweeteners are detrimental to our health. We consume them unknowingly, but they can cause harm to us. It is important to be aware of these harms and to avoid these fake sugars.

The message and purpose of the text

Inform the audience that artificial sugars are more harmful than beneficial.

The text's rhetorical strategies might include:


  • How the text uses appeals to credibility or character
  • The way the text uses appeals to emotion
  • The way the text uses appeals to logic or rational decision making

_____________________________________________________________________

OUTLINE

Introduction

I am going to create a hook to draw my reader in. I think an example like shopping and buying foods that contain artificial sweeteners will be the most effective. Then, I am going to introduce the author and give a mini background on artificial sweeteners.

Thesis (adapted or revised from one of your draft theses)

I am going to use my second thesis that I created.

Body Paragraphs

I know my author mentioned a lot about logos because he used a lot of information, statistics and facts. He used a lot of ethos, but I think pathos would be the most effective in explaining this to my audience

Analytical Claims

Tandel appeals to logic through utilizing facts to inform the reader of the harms of artificial sweeteners.

Tandel appeals to ethos through his knowledge of the topic, which highlight his ability to persuade the audience to believe that artificial sweeteners are harmful.

The support you plan to offer up for each claim

I plan to give many examples from his article. For example, I will specifically refer back to the specific harms that the artificial sugars impose on us and how he uses these to appeal to the logic in order to persuade the audience to believe that artificial sugars are harmful.

I plan to give examples of how he states many things that most people without research would not know. For example, he mentions every chemical, he mentions the benefits as well. Since he is educated, he is using this to his benefit in this article because he never states his argument. He provides a lot of information without saying what side he's on. This uses his ethos because by merely giving more information for against artificial sweeteners, he is able to persuade the reader to believe that there are more harms.

Your essay's conclusion

I will reinstate the thesis and provide a connection to the original general idea of shopping that I had created. Next, I will reflect back on the claims that I made about his work. Then, I will proceed to explain how he used these claims to further his argument


Reflection
I read Grace Elizabeth Mahan's blog post. I think she did a good job addressing every aspect of the outline. I think she lacked detail. For example, she would say "his point of view" or "support". I wanted to know more about the point-of-view and support. After reading her post, I learned that I did an adequate job describing more in depth about the direction of my draft because hers was very simple. I think the way I did it allows me to write more easily for my draft because a lot will already written down.

I read Joki Potkonjak's blog post. I think she doubted her abilities too much. She has everything that she needs in her draft. However, she thinks that I have more of my paper put together. I think I spent a lot of time on my outline because I was confused about the assignment. I wanted to make sure that I did it properly and had enough information to do it right. I think if Joki spent some extra time on the outline or while writing the draft, she will feel like she understands it more. For instance, I wrote specific examples because I wanted to better understand the topic. Joki did not do this. Maybe if she did, she would feel more confident. I learned that spending a lot of time on drafting shows because I was confused, too. However, I got a lot of positive feedback.

4 comments:

  1. I applaud all of the work you did on this outline and how you got it done early. I did it early as well so I could spend time not working on this outline this weekend. I think that incorporating more than one rhetorical strategy is going to work out really well for your paper and for the final grade because it is more interesting to show the reader more than one way that the article goes into depth rhetorically. I think in your analytical claims you could be a little more specific but I think that you're off to an awesome start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steff! I think your in depth outline is going to be so incredibly helpful when it comes to writing the draft of the rhetorical analysis. I think it was a really good decision to focus on ethos and logos rather than trying to incorporate all three of the appeals. I think it will be a good idea to focus on what you learned from the reading as your go through writing the paper as well but your support for the analytical claims sounds like it will make for a really solid foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a really good, solid plan on where your essay is going, so great job! It was smart of you to talk about more than one aspect of the rhetorical situation and strategies. It'll add more depth to your essay and make it a lot better. I don't have many tips to give you because it seems like you know what you want to do, so go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stef! I think that this essay outline will definitely make it easier for you to write your paper because of how detailed it is. I also like how you prioritize what you are going to talk about, so that you aren't stuck writing about something irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete