Saturday, September 19, 2015

Thoughts on Drafting

Thoughts on Drafting


In this blog post I am going to write about how explanation for the bullet points in the study guide assisted me in grafting. Prior to writing my draft on healthy student school lunches, I had referred to the study guide for a better understanding on how to begin my draft. I will explain what I found helpful and what was not for me. Lastly, I used the picture below to illustrate the drafting process because it appears that he is drafting.


What parts of the book’s advice on the above bulleted topics are helpful for writing in this genre?

The book was very helpful with the lead-in and introduction because I never knew how to properly approach it. I had always thought that I would make it too long or too short, so I overthought about it; I had it all wrong. I needed to simply explain to the reader like I am telling them. I felt like prior to reading the guide, I was unable to feel a connection with the reader and that was holding me back from being successful. In addition, I think the part about images was helpful because I was unsure about how to approach them. Even though pictures in any form of article is obvious, I like how they wanted us to convey sympathy with some. They want us to appeal to the reader and not really to us. These pictures do not even have to directly relate to the topic, but they need to relate enough so that the reader can understand why it is there.

Author Unknown. "Man Sitting at Drafting Board - NARA - 283828.jpg" cira 1939 via Wikimedia Commons. Public Domain license.


What parts of the book’s advice on these topics might not be so helpful, considering the genre you’re writing in?

 I think the part that was not so helpful was about the subheadings. I thought that it was very obvious that we needed to use subheadings. My genre needed subheadings and separations. It would be way too overwhelming for the reader to follow my subject if it were not for the subheadings.

Overall, it is very hard for me to think about what was not helpful because we highlighted the importance of them in class. Therefore, I took it like a grain of toast; I knew I needed to focus on everything.


Reflection
  1. Jovanka Potkonjak's blog post made me want to rethink my images because she seemed really against the mention in the book. I feel like I looked at that too closely and felt restricted to looking outside of the box sometimes. I want to know if I should put more obvious and closer related pictures to the subject now. Maybe I outstepped my boundaries, but I won't know until I read the comments others left on my post.
  2. Betsy Volk's blog post made me want to focus more on my thesis. I completely disagreed with her about the thesis statement. However, I see her reasoning behind it because I also was confused at first. I thought it wasn't supposed to be like a real essay, but I thought my thesis fit nicely in my introduction. I am going to go back and try to think how to fix my thesis because I feel like I made it to be too similar to an essay as opposed to a QRG.
  3. Aaron West's blog post made me consider every single aspect as part of the whole. Other people, including myself, only addressed the parts in the book that stood out to us. However, he was able to address everything. I plan on looking back at the book while editing my draft in order to adequately fix my mistakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment