Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Developing a Research Question

Developing a Research Question

In this post post, I am going to discuss the types of current and ongoing debates and arguments that people are having in nutrition that I might be interested in exploring further. Then, I am going to create research questions that will tell the reader why I might enjoy finding out the answers.

In my field of nutrition, there are many ongoing controveries going on today. Today, there are many controveries that discuss fats, cholesterol, sugar, and many other foods. These controversies typically cover whether or not these foods are detremental to our health. However, there is "The Great Sugar Debate" which is a controversy about sugar consumption. I would like to further explore this controversy because throughout our lives parents have told us that too much sugar is not good for us. From nutrition class, I know that too much added sugar turns into fat which is not good. Sugar is contributing to the U.S.'s increasing obesity rates.
Peggy Greg. "Milch-Jogurt-Fruichte" 8/18/14 via Wikimedia Commons. Public Domain License.

How does a high vs. low sugar diet effect atheletes?
This question would be interesting to explore because I would have to research high and low sugar diets. I would have to have an understanding of both before I compare to how they are good or bad to athletes' performance and/or health.

How have companies been adding sugar without the consumers being aware?
This question would be interesting to explore because I would research what are on the labels that companies put on their products. I know that there are many scientific words that are nicknames for sugar, but many consumers do not know this. I think this would be good to research in order to help inform the general public.

Are artificial sweeteners better than sugar?
This question would be interesting to explore because I already have heard many opposing viewpoints on this topic. I have heard that sugar is better than artificial sugars because sugar is natural. Despite the extra calories that sugar provides, it is said to be better than the zero-calorie artificial sugars because it does not contain chemicals. I would like to know more about this debate.

Is a high fat or low fat diet better?
This question would be interesting to explore because I already have heard many opposing viewpoints on this topic. I have heard that low fat diets are better, but the Mediterranean diet is based on at 40% fat daily intake; the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest known to man. However, the fat they consume is from olive oil. I would like to know if it is maybe the olive oil fat source that makes a high fat diet better.


No comments:

Post a Comment