Saturday, September 19, 2015

Clarity, Part 1

Clarity, Part 1

In this blog post, I will talk about learning new skills and how I can apply them to my QRG.
Files, Adam. "Clarity - Zed.png." 10/13/14 via Wikipedia Commons. Public Domain License.


Active Verbs
I had completely forgotten about active and passive verbs. For example, passive verbs are "were destroyed, and active verbs are "destroyed". Using more active verbs helps engage the reader. I noticed that my writing contains a combination, but it mostly contains passive verbs. I need to add more active words because passive verbs do not project the urgency of the topic or the importance of the subject enough. When I go back to edit, I will change the the passive verbs to active verbs.


Parallel Ideas
Parallel ideas create a sense of emphasis which is important in writing anything. If there isn't an emphasis wording could become awkward. I still do not completing understanding parallel ideas, but I think that I read it thoroughly. I think I am going to look back at my work and make the correction to emphasize this concept in order to emphasize. I understand this based on the examples, but it is hard for me to explain it.


Exact Words
It is important to use exact words to describe the meaning your word you want to convey. It is important to do this because some words do not give the proper meaning. I will apply this by going through my paper and changing words that I do not think properly explain what I am trying to say.

Variety
Variety is important because it changes things up for the reader. Sentence length, structure, and beginnings are the core to variety in writing. I've noticed that most of my writing is rooted with a long of long transitions. My phrasing and wording is similar, but I think I change up the lengths of my sentences a decent amount.


Reflection
Austin's post demonstrated parallel ideas properly when he stated, "Scientist... intended to cure and eradicate diseases such as sickle cell and down’s syndrome. " Illustrates my topic of parallel and he puts the two ideas of "curing" and "eradicating" something into one sentence instead of separating it to two. I think Austin did this without barely second guessing himself. Parallel ideas come naturally to many people, but now I am going to look over my paper even better and think about this. Also, his QRG was wrong in when he used "Lawmakers and scientists are calling". Are calling are passive verbs. He needs to use more active verbs to drive the point further and be more effective.

Alison Perger's post demonstrated a lack of active verbs when she said, "...the Justice Department had ruled..." This is active because there are too verbs next to each other. It would have been more effective if she had said that they "ruled" because creates more urgency and emotion in the topic.

Both of their drafts showed me that there are small places where error could occur. Therefore, my next draft will have a better outcome because I am going to be cautious of these simple errors.


No comments:

Post a Comment