Monday, November 30, 2015

Revisiting My Writing Process

Revisiting My Writing Process


In this blog post, I will reflect on what I wrote in Blog Posts 1.10 & 1.12 and explain how my perspective on my own writing process and time management habits have or have not shifted during my experience working in the course. I will be specific and detailed. Later, I will address how my skills have changed due to this course specifically and how this experience will help me in life and in my career. In addition, I used a picture of a ghost below in order to illustrate me revisiting my writing process. In comparison, ghosts revisit the world and represent the past. Likewise, my previous writing strategies have altered, and I am revisiting them like a ghost.

Has Anything Changed?

For “My Writing Process”, I mentioned that I use the Heavy Reviser approach because I focus on editing my work for a substantial amount of time.  That being said, I have noticed that I am not as much of a heavy reviser anymore. I think this applied a lot in the first project. As the projects have progressed, I have noticed that I use this skill less which is bad. Revision allows the writer to correct any errors. Whether the errors are small, large, grammatical, organizational, etc., it is a crucial time for the writer. I think I revise my writing now more as I go along than all at the end.
For my “Calendar Reflection”, I noticed that I dedicated a lot of my free time to homework, working out, and my boyfriend, I still use majority of my free-time for this. I have noticed that I do not get as much sleep at night. I still aim for 6-7 hours. However, I snore (according to my roommate), and she wakes me up if she can’t sleep. It disturbs my sleep so I do not feel as well-rested. In addition, I think that my wake up time at 6AM was UNREALISTIC. There is no way that I could do that because I cannot go to bed by 11PM because my dorm is LOUD. It does not get 100% quiet almost ever. Lastly, I just dropped my chemistry class because of some personal issues that I have been having. Therefore, I do not have to wake up for a 8AM 3 days a week.
Dita. "Ghost Lake." 1/12/12 via flickr. Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License.

Has anything NOT changed?

It is still hard for me to write about certain punctuation because some of the things I had already knew. It was hard for me to transfer to my judgement calls onto my writing. If anything the punctuation posts made me continue to stress.

Homework allotment strategy tended to be on the weekends so that I could focus more on this class. I noticed that I wanted to do that in my calendar.

I do not throw away all my drafts at once or even large chunks. I try my best to incorporate it unless the teacher tells me otherwise.

Moving Forward

I think this course has helped me plan out my writing better and ahead of time. I have noticed that I also procrastinate less because I know it is hard to focus on the weekends doing homework when people are loud. That being said, I try to get my work done ahead of time. This will benefit me in the long run because working ahead will give me more time to do other assignments. Therefore, I will not be overwhelmed as much as I was in the beginning of the semester. 

This course will help me in my career because I will need to write and plan things out as a dietician or as a French Teacher. Considering that I have decided to change my major, I think that me being able to plan better will be more beneficial to my career. It is important as a teacher to plan the lessons ahead of time. Also, it is important to teach planning ahead to my students in order for them to be successful in their studies as well. I know that time management is easier said than done. Especially if procrastination is a learned habit, time management is hard to adopt. However, I hope that my experience in English 109H will help me and my future clients/students as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment