Thursday, November 5, 2015

Analyzing My Genre

Analyzing My Genre

In this blog post, I am going to analyze my genre by addressing questions about social context, rhetorical patterns of the genre,  and then I will analyze these patterns and context. Below are five examples of my genre.

Social Context

My genre of an advice column video is typically set on Parents.com. The subject of the genre is parenting that revolves around childhood obesity. This genre is used when parents or people in general are in need of help. In this case, this genre would help parents that are unsure of how to properly rear their children. This genre is used because parents/people need advice sometimes in order to proceed with life. A lot of people want others' help in order to approach a situation because they are not sure if their method is the right method. The purpose of an advice column video is to inform, advise, and assist people in ways to approach a situation.

Rhetorical Patterns of the Genre

The content included in this genre is typically questions from the parents, researched information, and personal advice, opinions, and approaches to the questions that are posed. The content that is excluded is a lot of research information. I have noticed that a lot of people who have created these videos do not only state typically only information. Most include opinions too. Therefore, I need to make sure I do not only write about researched information.

Pathos is used most often because the person speaking is trying to appeal to the parents' emotions in order to draw them to take action for their children. Also, ethos is used because by presenting myself in the video as knowledgable and well-dressed person comfortably talking about the topic will build my ethos. Lastly, I will use logos by stating some doctors' claims or some shocking statistics in order to convince the reader that there is researched information in order to support my opinions.
Giannuzzi, Stefania. "CIA DE FOTO" 10/31/08 via flickr. Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic License.

Most of the videos introduce the speaker, address questions, give their voice on theses questions and utilize scientific information to support it. They all conclude by giving the parents some motivation and confidence to help their children.

I do not think the sentences in this genre share a certain style. However, I feel like they are active because they want to advise the audience to DO something. Also, there is an abundance of questions because the parents pose the questions, and the questions are later addressed.

The word choice is casual and informal. The word choice should not make any parent feel dumb or uneducated because they might feel that they just do not want to listen to it in effect to that. I think that it is important to address everyone and make everyone feel comfortable. I do not want to sound too formal or academic because I might bore others.

Analyze What those Patterns Reveal about the Social Context of the Genre

The genre includes parents and children. The genre excludes people that do not associate with children or people that will not be looking to have children. This advice column video encourages people to take action and to address their child-raising strategies. I think this genre is looking to help people that are struggling in their current situation. It is assumed that they are parents that are concerned about their children. This genre is looking to address the issues that parents are having with their children nutrition. It is assumed that these parents care about their children's health. Lastly, the genre treats experiences as the most valuable because people can learn from what other people have gone through. If people can share their experiences, it makes it easier for others to follow it because they know that it has worked for someone. I think that it least values scientific information because scientists can provide that almost everything we do is unhealthy. However, it is important to address this genre while appealing to the interests of the audience and not only science.

Reflection
I read Jovanka Potkonjak's blog post. Even though hers seemed very simple and straightforward, she seems to have it put together how she is going to set it up rhetorically. I like how she broke apart the letter into separate components and described how and why. I never looked into a letter so thoroughly prior to reading her blog post. However, I noticed that she accomplishes a very successful method and genre in creating her argument. My own post seems to be detailed in the same sense as hers because we both are choosing simple genres, but we are both going to effective description.

I read Austin See's blog post. His genre is a little different than I expected only because a lot of people are doing videos or different creative things. However, I think that his genre suits his topic best! He is taking this project in a very direct approach which I think could be easier for him because like he said in his reflection that the creative ideas were "rather hard". I agree with him there because I actually have to dress up and look nice. Whereas, he could be writing his genre while in your pj's. Overall, I think his genre will be effective for his political topic! 

4 comments:

  1. First of all I commend you for doing video project. It takes some courage and computer skills that I just do not have, Second, I think the purple text is kind of hard to read especially after the first half was in normal text. That being said I think you have a good grasp of the conventions and know where you'd publish your piece. Good luck, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you doing a video or advice column (text based)? I was a little confused by your examples. I love how this genre allows you to present yourself as a friend. By posting in an advice column, you automatically have a source of credibility that you are there provide help rather than criticize. However, I am curious how you will incorporate your argument and opinion. I would be sure to focus on why your advice is effective and should be heeded rather than just stating tips. I feel that this will really help develop a strong argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've done a really great job defining your genre. I think knowing that it will be published on a place like parents.com really helps you as far as defining audience as well. The genre will work great if you intend to make a video. The active nature of the sentences is also a great point, and I think that's one of the keys of the genre. Keeping it active will really keep in interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, my post seems much less thorough and frankly pretty wimpy compared to yours. You do an incredible job here of being thorough and your answers are very well thought through. I think your genre sounds awesome, and I think its going to be very effective for your topic, based on the examples that I looked at. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete