Saturday, November 7, 2015

Considering Visual Elements

Considering Visual Elements

In this blog post, I am going to utilize the book in order to help me consider the best visual elements for my genre of an advice column video on childhood obesity.

The background for my project be plain white wall because it is more important to hear the content that I am discussing. I do not think that I need to be anywhere specific because I think that it is more important for my audience to pay attention to me and not get distracted by the background. In an example that I watched of my genre, the woman talking was in a clothing store. She blurred the mannequin so that it would not be a distraction. However, I prefer the white wall because it will guarantee that the viewer is only looking at me. There is somewhat of a limitation with my visual choices because of the genre I'm writing in. I feel like it is important to hold the audience’s attention.

It will be useful to include graphs or even though they weren’t included in the examples that I watched. I think it would be useful to include graphs because it will be important to show how childhood obesity has skyrocketed. Also, I could use these graphs to show the correlations between childhood obesity and other instances/situations that I will address.
Watz, Marius. "Live visuals, Club Transmediale." 2/5/05 via flickr. Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.

Pauses in my voice will function as blocks of text because I am creating a video. The pauses in my voice will allow the reader to collect their thoughts and possibly form their own opinion based on the information that I provided prior to the pause. If I did not include a pause in my voice, then the audience might feel overwhelmed by the content that I am providing them.

The images will be in very close proximity to the argument because they are sources of evidence. For example, the graphs are evidence and support to my argument. Also, myself as an image provides the ethos to my argument. Lastly, the images that I create verbally will help appeal to the viewer’s pathos.

At this point, I have not totally thought about image sequencing, but I just plan on putting them right before, during, or after discussing the topic that the image relates to. I think that it would be very important to add images in the beginning and the end of my video because it will leave a mark on the viewer. In the beginning, it will draw the viewer’s attention. At the end, it will leave the reader an image to remember my argument and to keep them thinking about my argument.

The theme produced by the images could be relevant to the theme as a whole depending on what images I decide to use. If I use graphs, that would help appeal to logos because it is informational. If I use images of obese or ill children, then it will appeal to the pathos of the audience. If I just focus on myself, then I will appeal to the audience’s ethos. However, my main appeal is pathos because I think that my opinions on this will bring about emotions of change and urgency.

Reflection
I read Lia Ossanna's blog post. I also was unsure of some small detail. For example, I was not sure about the amount of images I should use or how I should be presented. I think that the visuals she chose work best for her because newspapers can be creative but they have a pretty standard format to follow. Overall, good job explaining what she intended to use her visuals for.

I read Jovanka Potkonjak's blog post. I think that she did a very thorough job explaining each visual element. I like how she mentioned about the blank space helping to break up your text. For instance, I used pauses between my sentences in order to space out my sentences. I like how there is a similar connection between our visuals so I know I am doing something right. I think her project is going to be hard to do on a computer. It would be so cool if she wrote out an actual letter and maybe made it look like a legit hand-written letter? That might give it some deeper depth. She could do this if you scanned it maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment