Thursday, August 27, 2015

My Writing Process

My Writing Process

  1. What type(s) of writers do you consider yourself to be?
    • I consider myself to be a Sequential Composer because I tend to spend a lot of time on every aspect of writing. I tend to take a while to write because I revise paragraph after paragraph. This also exemplifies that I'm a sequential composer because they also revise profusely like I do.
  2. Does your writing process use several of the above approaches? If so, which ones?
    • I would say that my writing process utilizes the Heavy Planners because I plan a lot in advance prior to writing.
    • I also use the Heavy Reviser approach because I focus on editing my work for a substantial amount of time. 
    • Due to these two approaches, I would have to conclude that I am mainly a Sequential Composer because they spend equal amounts of time planning as they do revising. This is similar to the method I use for writing. Also, they revise every paragraph little by little to make it perfect.
      OpenClipArtVectors. "Workstation Stressed Office Office Job Woman". 8/27/14 via pixabay.
      Public Domain License.
  3. Does your writing process seem to be successful? What are the strengths and weaknesses to your approach?
    • At times my writing process is successful, but sometimes it is not.
      • The strengths of my writing approach is that it seemingly makes sense because I spend a lot of time editing. Also, there is always clear topics sentences because they are very thought out.
      • The weaknesses of my writing are that it is very time consuming and stressful. By spending more time trying to nit pick every error, I make myself more stressed because I feel like it is not good enough.
  4. Do you think it might be beneficial for you to try a different approach? Why or why not?
    • Yes, it might be beneficial for me to try a new approach because I sometimes spend too much time on a single paragraph of a paper.

---------------------------------------------

Reflection

Michaela Webb's blog post reminded me of myself in the sense that it is hard for me write without being passionate about the subject. This poses a major issue for writing because not every assignment can be base on my interests

I liked how she mentioned that changing her perspective on the topics of the assignments can assist her. It is a good idea because writing an essay in a positive mindset can help one write the essay more easily.

For me, my essays would lack depth if I could not fall in love with the assignment. However, I have learned that you are sometimes able to incorporate yourself into assignments without the general topic of the assignment being interesting. For example, if it is something about love, I will relate to me and my boyfriend.

 Finding a thread of interest helps me stay engaged in my writing.

Lauren Wright-Land blog post reminded me of how I used to be. I used to procrastinate to do essays the night before they were due and be up until the next morning. 

This is super unhealthy, and I was able to overcome my procrastination. I realize that I was only able to end my procrastination by keeping my schedule busy. By hanging out with my boyfriend at night and working out early in the morning, I was able to prioritize my essay. I learned to focus on the task at hand before the last minute. 

Procrastination is very detiorating to me because I tend to get very anxious at the last minute. Not procrastinating is beneficial to me now and Lauren's post made me realize the big change I made last year.

4 comments:

  1. Stef, I totally get where you're coming from! I too tend to spend a lot of time knit picking my paper as I write it. It's definitely a stressful and time consuming process. I feel like heavy planning and constant revisions make for an amazing piece of literature though. No process is ever flawless either, so don't stress too much! Great works of art take time, so be proud of your work and the process that gets you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also get what you're saying! A lot of the time I spend too much time on my writing, except instead of spending too much time planning and editing, I take immense amounts of time trying to get what I want to say make sense. I always have what I want to say in my head, but the words never come out quite right. This is also very frustrating and stressful, because I just can't get the parts of my brain to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really good read. It was interesting for me, coming from a very "natural", as-it-comes-in-my-head style to what seems like a very well thought out, meticulous style. I've always veered away for you style because of the time consuming nature (as you explained), but I like how you pointed out that taking so much time really makes for some clear topic statements. Love your attitude on trying new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you mentioned, your writing style takes a lot of time, so did it hold up through this class? Did you find yourself taking less time to write and edit? Did you manage your time well so that you could keep the quality of your writing? Did you find more success in this class with your writing process than you did in the past? You said your process has varying success yet it seems like that process would be a great habit to get into. It seems like your writing process would work very well on the project drafts but I think I would get frustrated with the process work if my process was as lengthy as yours.

    ReplyDelete