Saturday, August 29, 2015

My Controversy

My Controversy

Zeratsky, Katherine. "Cholesterol — the controversy continues." 2/20/15 via Mayo Clinic. Noncommercial Personal Use Only License.

What is the article about?

This article discusses the new finds against the belief that the consumption of cholesterol should be monitored.

The new finds suggest that cholesterol consumption is not a major area of concern because it was once assumed that high cholesterol was connected to heart disease.

Consumption of cholesterol is necessary for bodily functions, and our bodies produce it natural.

Researchers found that in people who consumed 80-100mg less cholesterol than the 1970's. It appears that the increase of heart disease among our population is not directly related to cholesterol intake. Therefore, it is important to balance the amount of cholesterol consumed with other essential nutrients, 

Cholesterol no longer is to be the only area of concern for heart health.

Why does the article interest me?

This article interests me because I am an aspiring Dietitian, and I look forward to learning about more controversies that arise in my area of study. I am very passionate about nutrition, and I wanted to learn more about the controversies of cholesterol. Considering my family has a past of bad cholesterol, I was hoping that this article could determine whether or not cholesterol has to do with their heart problems. In addition, my boyfriend has high cholesterol, and I have been concerned for his heart health due to his high cholesterol. Now, I am not as fearful about him having heart issues, but I will help him make healthier diet choices.

I found this article on Mayo Clinic's website under the category of Nutrition and Healthy Eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment